Sleep apnoea has been one of the most common sleep disorder in the world, still, many people tend to ignore its symptoms.
Sleep apnoea should never be taken for granted, it can reduce the life expectancy of the patient by as much as 15 years and can be responsible for many life-threatening diseases.
The 3 types of Sleep Apnoea:
OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnoea): It’s most common sleep apnoea which occurs when your throat airway collapses and obstructs the flow of air which prevents restful sleep.
Central Sleep Apnoea: it’s a neurological disorder which happens due to the failure of the brain to send the proper signal to the muscle that controls breathing.
Complex Sleep Apnoea Syndrome: as the name suggests, it’s a treatment-emergent sleep disorder which happens because of the combination of obstructive and central sleep apnoea. It’s quite uncommon but the most dangerous as well.
Interesting Facts about OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnoea)
More than 10 percent of the world’s adult population is suffering from obstructive sleep apnoea.
The shocking part is, 80% of the Australians suffering from OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnoea) are still undiagnosed that means there are more vulnerable to life-threatening diseases.
Sleep apnoea is found to be more common in men almost 25% men and 9% Women in Australia suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA).
It has been found to be closely related to many critical diseases, 58% of the people with Type 2 diabetes have OSA, 77% of the obese people have OSA, 85% of the people with hypertension who take blood-pressure medication have OSA.
When is Sleep Apnoea Test a Must?
OSA should never be taken lightly, untreated OSA patients are at 7X higher risk of death and heart disease.
When this condition is untreated, it can likely lead to life-threatening diseases. Not just that, it can decrease your life expectancy by as much as 15 years!
Some of the benefits of OSA treatment can we use are as follow:
- OSA patients tend to accumulate more body fat because of the improper sleep cycle, it will bring the hormonal balance back in control.
- Obstructive sleep apnoea does not restrict only sleep, it also obstructs brain cognitive functions, concentration, productivity, and peak performance.
- Poor cardiovascular health is common in OSA patients, the right treatment will help in maximizing athletic performance.
- Restful sleep helps in improving heart health, people with poor sleeping habits are more vulnerable to strokes and heart failure. One Study found that people who don’t get enough sleep are at far greater risk of heart disease.
- People with OSA are more likely to suffer from diabetes as well. A separate clinical study found a correlation between sleep and diabetes. A Study conducted on healthy young men who restricted sleep to only 4 hours for 6 nights straight caused insulin sensitivity issues. Their health got back to normal after getting back to 7-8 hour sleep.
Sleep Apnoea symptoms
It’s important to understand the symptoms before you plan for the diagnosis. The good news is that apnoea symptoms are not very hard to recognize.
OSA primarily affect your sleep patterns and you start getting daytime symptoms associated with lack of sleep. Acknowledge the symptoms like:
- Waking up with a headache
- Dizziness and sleepiness
- Poor concentration
- Mood swings and anxiety
The symptoms include:
- Loud and continuous snoring
- Witnessing pause in breathing
- Choking or gasping for air
- Restless sleep
Sleep Apnoea Test
An overnight sleep apnoea test is necessary to confirm a diagnosis of OSA and evaluate its severity.
Your sleep expert will evaluate different factors like ECG, EEG, EMG, EOG, etc. The severity of your sleep apnoea will be judged after the overnight diagnosis.
Some pharmacies in Australia are also providing mobile devices that allow you to diagnose your OSA in the comfort of your home.
What to do next?
OSA devices can be quite costly for many people but you don’t really need to worry about that. Some of the reliable pharmacies are offering rental services on OSA devices which allows you to rent the machine to do conduct the sleep apnoea test and in the process cure your sleep apnoea.
Suggested Readings:Leave a reply →